So how goes the program release

This forum is a discussion area for the MapForge software. This is NOT an official forum and in no way is affiliated with the creator.
TheWaywardTraveler

So how goes the program release

Post by TheWaywardTraveler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 pm

How is the Release going? On Schedule?

Bogie

Re: So how goes the program release

Post by Bogie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 pm

The Alpha test version has just been released.
You can see more of my maps at my DeviantArt Gallery: http://bogie-dj.deviantart.com/gallery/

Daniel Pryor
Site Admin

Post by Daniel Pryor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

The Alpha was released. It shows promise, but a lot of the features aren't functional and there are a few bugs. But I"m sure by the end of they year it will be a solid product.

MarkOliva

Post by MarkOliva » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:07 pm

I think use of the forum will be slow at first, but as more supporters start to test the alpha, it will pick up gradually. Once MapForge goes retail, usage should increase substantially. Usage also will be helped if Hernan links the forum on his MapForge website.

I'm quite eager to take a look at what's there. I have downloaded the alpha, but I have to admit, I haven't even installed it yet ... not for lack of interest but rather for lack of time. Maybe this weekend. It's cool and rainy here in Northern Bavaria. That could help.
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri (TM) Project

MarkOliva

Post by MarkOliva » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 am

I've installed now, but it was a waste of time. The alpha won't run on either of my computers. Both run 64-bit versions of Windows 10 Creator Edition, one the U.S. Pro version, the other the German Home edition. Norton 360 brands the file MACaddress.x32 as dangerous and kills it, even when I have it on my exclusions list. This is a known problem.

When I open MapForge, no tools appear. If I run the technical demo, the program tries to build the tools at the end, but it dies on 2 error messages:

1)
Director Player Error
Property not found
#width
Script Error. Continue?
Yes - No

2)
Director Player Error
Rect expected
<void>
Script Error. Continue?
Yes - No

Clicking Yes causes these error messages to repeat. Clicking No closes MapForge.

I tried posting this as a comment on the MapForge Kickstarter site, but it refuses to accept it, telling me that HTML isn't allowed ... not that I tried to write any HTML, mind you.

UPDATING:

Since the original post, I've installed Heruca's patch, turned Norton off temporarily and restored MACaddress.x32, but the results remain unchanged.
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri (TM) Project

MarkOliva

Post by MarkOliva » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:35 am

Heruca has made some suggestions, but they haven't changed anything. Instead, they've added a demand that I install Adobe Shockwave, which I'm not interested in doing.
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri (TM) Project

Daniel Pryor
Site Admin

Post by Daniel Pryor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:51 am

Yeah i was hoping that the software was dependent upon java, abode engines, etc and just a raw C++ or "machine" language. But if it's an improvement on Dundjinni (after the bugs are fixed), I'm a happy camper.

MarkOliva

Post by MarkOliva » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Heruca has said on the Kickstarter forum that neither Java nor Shockwave are necessary for MapForge. Why we and other users chiming in over there are getting this demand to install Shockwave is unclear.
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri (TM) Project